- Decline the transaction if you feel in danger
- Notify your manager or call the voice authorization center
- Report fraudulent transactions
If the customer suspected of fraud is present and you feel you are in danger, politely decline the transaction and return the card to the customer. The intent is to have the threatening customer leave the store as quickly as possible for your safety and the safety of other patrons and staff in your store.
After the customer leaves the store, call our Client Services team at 800-787-4105 and ask to speak with a Risk Management representative.
If the customer suspected of fraud is present and you feel you are not in danger, do the following:
- Stay calm.
- Hold onto the customer's card as you resolve any questions you have about the transaction.
- Do one of the following:
- Confidentially notify your manager or supervisor.
- Call the Voice Authorization Center at 800-291-4840 and, in a normal tone of voice, ask for a "Code 10 authorization." A representative at the authorization center will ask you questions that you can answer with a simple "yes" or "no" to avoid alerting the customer. The representative will tell you what to do and, if necessary, will contact the police for you.
If a fraudulent transaction occurs, contact our Client Services team at 800-787-4105 or firstname.lastname@example.org and we'll connect you to a Risk Management representative.