If a cardholder disputes a transaction with their card-issuing bank, we'll send you a letter by U.S. mail or fax (depending on your communication preference) that describes the reason for the dispute and, if applicable, asks you to send us evidence supporting the transaction. We and the card-issuing bank will review any evidence you submit and determine whether a chargeback is warranted. Investigations generally take two to six weeks and we'll notify you when the investigation is complete.
- Check your mail or faxes regularly, and contact us if you need to change your mailing address or fax number; see Change my business information for details. If you receive a chargeback notification or retrieval request letter and you want to potentially prevent or reverse a chargeback, we must receive your response by the deadline specified in the letter.
- If a chargeback occurs and a debit appears on your account before you receive a chargeback notification letter, contact our Client Services team at 800-787-4105 or email@example.com and we can access the notification for you.
The following steps summarize how to respond to chargeback notifications and retrieval requests.
- Review your chargeback notification or retrieval request letter, particularly the following details:
- the deadline by which we must receive your response
- details about the disputed transaction, such as the date, amount, and cardholder’s account number, so you can locate that transaction in your records
- reason for the dispute
- transaction documentation as requested in the letter, such as a signed, detailed sales slip
- Send all of the following information to the fax number (which is the quickest option) or mailing address provided in the letter:
- copy of the chargeback notification or retrieval request letter that you received
- copies of the transaction documentation that we request in the letter
- copies of any additional evidence of the transaction that you may have, such as documented conversations or correspondence with the customer
- Contact our Client Services team at 800-787-4105 and confirm that we received your documentation.